Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Last parenting class today. There was pizza involved, or at least, I think it was pizza. More like a kind of a white bread glob with tomato sauce and gooey cheese on top. There were questionnaires to fill out about what we learned and good-byes to the connections we made during the last 10 weeks.  It's Walla Walla, though. Undoubtedly, we will see each other around sometime.

The last subjects covered were about spanking and discipline, which nobody in the class disagreed upon. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out how detrimental to a child spanking is. You hit a kid, you teach him that hitting is ok. Also, you teach him that controlling with fear is ok. Not hard concepts to wrap your head around. It struck a nerve with me however, because I just had an interesting court experience resulting from my youngest son coming home with bruises after a visit with his dad.

The court system is entirely ignorant when it comes to domestic violence. Spanking is a "parenting style" despite the studies done on the damage it does and it's not illegal even if CPS gets involved. The system sucks. I have enough education on the subject of abuse and control that I can pretty much spot an abuser from a mile away. The system, however is blind and kids continue to get hurt.

I feel so helpless when it comes to protecting my kids from the abuse, which is usually only verbal. With more tools I gained during this parenting class, I hope to be able to help my kids continue to process their dad's abuse and move on in the healthiest manner possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment